Writing a Letter to a Cabinet Minister

See a sample letter (WORD | PDF)

Depending on the policy or concern, you may want to send a letter (or e-mail) to a cabinet minister. Your MP may not be fully aware of the issues you are concerned with and they may have less influence over the policy. You should consider who the best contact is for the issue or policy you are concerned with. If you have an issue with policies affecting the Aboriginal community, you should contact the Minister of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development. If you are concerned about refugee and immigration policies, you could contact the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. Your issue directs you to contact the best government official.

If the issue is current and pressing, sending a letter directly to the cabinet minister might be the best strategy. The letter should be concise and should ask for specific action.

  • Go deeper symbol

    Go Deeper: Departments & Agencies

    For information on the different Canadian government departments and agencies, visit the Government of Canada’s website. This webpage has contact information for all the different cabinet ministers.

  • Keep in mind symbol

    Keep in Mind: Contacting Senators

    Senators can be influential in pushing legislation forward and influencing policy. Contacting a senator with an interest or background in the issue you are advocating could be beneficial. Find information on current senators here.

  • Get creative symbol

    Get Creative

    You do not have to send a traditional letter. In 2013, the Dignity for All Campaign passed out brown paper bags holding postcards for an event called Chew on This! These postcards were a call to action for the government to work towards a poverty-free Canada strategically. It is difficult to ignore mass mail sent to politicians with a clear message! Learn more about Chew on This!

Share via
Copy link