Give it up for the Earth! is a national faith-in-action campaign that raises awareness about climate change and mobilizes people across Canada to reduce household greenhouse gas emissions, engage in acts of solidarity, and collect signatures as a demonstration of support for increased federal government action. Give it up for the Earth! runs from March 2 to April 14, 2022.
Addressing the climate crisis in a good way prioritizes Indigenous autonomy and consideration of people who have been traditionally marginalized and are particularly vulnerable in the climate crisis.
Together, through the Give it up for the Earth! campaign, we are calling on the federal government to stop subsidizing the fossil fuel sector and invest in a fair, inclusive, Indigenous-centred green economy.
Give it up for the Earth! 2022 includes three action items:
- Reduce personal and household greenhouse gas emissions.
- Commit to learning about and building relationships with the Indigenous communities on whose traditional territories we live, work, and play.
- Send a letter to the Minister of the Environment and Climate Change, Steven Guilbeault, urging follow-through on existing climate action commitments and calling for a legislated just transition that centres Indigenous rights; promotes fairness and inclusion; and creates good, secure, green jobs.
All of the materials you need to participate are included below (as both links and downloads).
- A downloadable Give it up for the Earth! letter (PDF). (Lettre au Ministre Guilbeault – PDF en français).
- A digital Give it up for the Earth! letter. (Also available in French/aussi disponible en français).
- A downloadable petition-style letter (PDF) for the collection of multiple signatures. (Lettre de type pétition – PDF en français).
- Campaign posters (Poster1, Poster2, Poster3) and social media graphics.
- An organizing guide and action tools.
- A faith and climate reflection (PDF).
- Decolonization and just transition resources.
Register your community!
If you would like to join the hundreds of churches, schools, religious orders, and ecumenical groups across Canada that are Giving it up for the Earth! this Lent, we invite you to complete the form below to register your faith community.
Organizers are asked to publicize the campaign in their faith community, encourage dialogue about – and action to reduce – greenhouse gas emissions, and collect campaign postcards. Thank you!