A faith-in-action campaign to increase climate justice in Canada.
Many Christians mark Lent by “giving up” a bad habit or distracting practice. During the 40 days leading up to Easter, this symbolic sacrifice provides space to reflect and refocus, tune-in to our Christian calling, and renew our commitment to God. This year, why not focus your Lenten fast on preserving God’s creation?
CPJ invites you to Give it up for the Earth! from February 14 to March 29, 2018.
For 40 days, commit to make changes in your life to reduce your greenhouse gas emissions, and let the federal government know that you want them to end all subsidies to the fossil fuel sector right away.
The Give it up for the Earth! campaign is centred on a postcard that includes:
- a pledge to individual climate action, and
- a call for the government to end all subsidies to the fossil fuel sector right away.
Included with the postcard is a personal pledge card. Participants are encouraged to post a selfie with their pledge on social media and keep their pledge card somewhere visible for the duration of the campaign as a reminder of their commitment.
There are two ways to get involved in Give it up for the Earth!:
- Host an event or gathering in your community. Gather a group and distribute pledge/postcards for participants to make a personal commitment and call on the government to act. Use the form below to order materials.
- Make a personal commitment now using our online form.
As a Give it up for the Earth! organizer, you will receive a package containing:
- campaign pledge/postcards (Sample - PDF)
- posters (vertical, horizontal)
- a “How to run a Give it up for the Earth! event” guide
- a faith and climate backgrounder
- a climate policy backgrounder highlighting the issue of fossil fuel subsidies (forthcoming)
Materials will be mailed beginning in January 2018.
You will then have a six weeks (February 14 to March 29, 2018) to hold public engagement events and collect postcards.
Completed postcards will be returned to CPJ for delivery to the Minister Catherine McKenna at a conclusion of the campaign.
Thank you for your interest! We hope that faith communities across Canada will participate in Give it up for the Earth! For more information, please contact Karri Munn-Venn. firstname.lastname@example.org | 613-232-0275, x. 223.News: Ecological Justice