Use these engaging resources and activities to support faith action on climate change in your community!
Prayers for COP21 in Paris worship resources include climate justice sermons, prayers, hymns, and activities. They were designed for the lead up to November 2015 Climate negotiations in Paris, however they can be used at any time to bring climate justice themes into worship. Materials support additional learning opportunities, as well as action and engagement on climate change. All are centred on responding to God’s call to faithfully support the flourishing of creation.
- An Introduction to Prayers for COP21 in Paris. (also available as a downloadable PDF)
- Background information on Climate Change and COP21.
Sermons, Prayers, and Hymns:
- Sample sermons.
- Additional sermons for inspiration (written ahead of the 2014 UN Climate Summit in New York).
- Speaking Notes for Preachers on Sunday, September 21, 2014 (PDF) by Mardi Tindal.
- United Nations Climate Summit, September 21-22, 2014 (PDF) by Heather Eaton.
- A Sermon on the Environment (PDF) by Paul Ladouceur.
- Prayers of intercession (PDF).
- More prayers of intercession (PDF).
- Hymn suggestions (PDF) with environmental themes.
Small Group Reflection and Discussion:
- Small group discussion starters and activities (PDF).
- Climate Justice Bible Study (PDF).
- Ideas for an hour in climate justice prayer (PDF).
If you’d like help, CPJ is available to speak in churches. We can join you in person or via Skype – keeping things carbon neutral – to offer prayers, a workshop, or a climate justice homily. Contact Karri Munn-Venn at email@example.com or 613-232-0275, x. 223 to make arrangements.
- Poster (PDF) (hint: looks great on the church bulletin board!)
- Bulletin/newsletter announcements (Word doc).
- Visual announcement (ppt slide).
- Prayer Cards (PDF for printing).
Please, pray and act for climate justice - and engage your faith community in the same! We hope that these materials will serve as a guide as you express gratitude for the gift of creation, pray for those impacted by climate change, and also to pray for the leaders charged with reaching an equitable and effective climate agreement when they meet in Paris.
Want to do more?
Thank you for using the Prayers for COP21 in Paris worship materials! We also invite you to sign the call for climate action and let the federal government know that as people of faith we want to see more ambitious Canadian action to address climate change.
Tell us what's happening in your community!
Additional Action Ideas
- Use CPJ's Living Faithfully into a New Climate resources in your faith community. These materials were developed ahead of the 2014 Special UN Climate Summit and include a Bible study, activities for youth, videos, and an infographic.
- Write a letter or send an email to let your MP how important climate change is to to you. Use CPJ's sample letter [Word Doc] as a guide.
- Read the latest CPJ articles on climate change.
- Make a donation to support CPJ's climate justice activities.