We urge you to pray and act for climate justice during the 2015 UN Climate Conference in Paris.
World leaders are working to complete “a new international agreement on the climate, applicable to all countries, with the aim of keeping global warming below 2°C,” at the 21st Conference of Parties (COP21) in Paris (November 30 to December 11).
COP21 is a critical junction and has the potential to be a real turning point for climate change policy, and the fate of the earth.
Prayers for COP21 in Paris is an engaging collection of resources and activities to support faith action on climate change! It includes worship materials, a cross-Canada prayer chain, and a call for climate action.
Prayers for COP21 in Paris worship resources include climate justice sermons, prayers, hymns, and activities. They've been designed for use in worship in the lead-up to Paris, particularly on Sunday, November 29 (the first Sunday of Advent and the eve of the Paris negotiations).Materials support additional learning opportunities, as well as action and engagement on climate change. All are centred on responding to God’s call to faithfully support the flourishing of creation.
- An Introduction to Prayers for COP21 in Paris. (also available as a downloadable PDF)
- Background information on Climate Change and COP21.
Sermons, Prayers, and Hymns:
- Sample sermons.
- Additional sermons for inspiration (written ahead of the 2014 UN Climate Summit in New York).
- Speaking Notes for Preachers on Sunday, September 21, 2014 (PDF) by Mardi Tindal.
- United Nations Climate Summit, September 21-22, 2014 (PDF) by Heather Eaton.
- A Sermon on the Environment (PDF) by Paul Ladouceur.
- Prayers of intercession (PDF).
- More prayers of intercession (PDF).
- Hymn suggestions (PDF) with environmental themes.
Small Group Reflection and Discussion:
- Small group discussion starters and activities (PDF).
- Climate Justice Bible Study (PDF).
- Ideas for an hour in climate justice prayer (PDF).
If you’d like help, CPJ is available to speak in churches. We can join you in person or via Skype – keeping things carbon neutral – to offer prayers, a workshop, or a climate justice homily. Contact Karri Munn-Venn at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-232-0275, x. 223 to make arrangements.
- Poster (PDF) (hint: looks great on the church bulletin board!)
- Bulletin/newsletter announcements (Word doc).
- Visual announcement (ppt slide).
- Prayer Cards (PDF for printing).
Please, pray and act for climate justice - and engage your faith community in the same! We hope that these materials will serve as a guide as you express gratitude for the gift of creation, pray for those impacted by climate change, and also to pray for the leaders charged with reaching an equitable and effective climate agreement when they meet in Paris.
Want to do more?
Thank you for using the Prayers for COP21 in Paris worship materials! We encourage you to join the cross-Canada prayer chain and be part of the prayers taking place throughout the Paris climate negotiations. We also invite you to sign the call for climate action and let the federal government know that as people of faith we want to see more ambitious Canadian action to address climate change.
Tell us what's happening in your community!
Additional Action Ideas
- Use CPJ's Living Faithfully into a New Climate resources in your faith community. These materials were developed ahead of the 2014 Special UN Climate Summit and include a Bible study, activities for youth, videos, and an infographic.
- Write a letter or send an email to let your MP how important climate change is to to you. Use CPJ's letter to Prime Minister Stephen Harper as a guide.
- Read the latest CPJ articles on climate change.
- Make a donation to support CPJ's climate justice activities.