Full-time position located in Ottawa
Application deadline: September 15, 2021
Start date: October 2021
CPJ is accepting applications for a Communications Coordinator to shape CPJ’s public policy messaging and build CPJ’s public profile and brand.
Within the context of CPJ’s core guideline documents, the Communications Coordinator is responsible for providing multiple levels of strategic communications. In particular: (a) shaping CPJ’s public policy messaging; and (b) building CPJ’s public profile and brand.
This position will involve communicating effectively and widely with a range of audiences, including public officials, leaders in society, media, the Canadian public, church communities and CPJ members/donors. It also includes managing CPJ’s core communications media, including CPJ.ca, our print magazine the Catalyst, occasional reports, briefs, and other policy documents, as well as fundraising and promotions materials.
1. Policy program communications: shaping key public policy debates.
Working closely with CPJ’s policy analysts, the Communications Coordinator will:
- Support strategic policy messaging including: policy briefs, framing content of press releases, commentaries, website, and election bulletins, etc.
- Plan and implement production, dissemination, and strategic timing of policy reports, policy statements, and blogs.
- Monitor all communications to increase the public profile of CPJ; maintain a “media log” of all coverage of CPJ in the press.
- Collaborate with partner organizations to implement media strategies: pitch policy messaging to media and advise policy staff in media relations.
2. Editing the Catalyst (magazine) and JusticE-NEWS (online newsletter): Communicating policy program messages and raising CPJ’s public profile.
In the context of CPJ’s policy and communications strategies, and with the support of other CPJ staff, outside writers and contractors, the Communications Coordinator will produce the Catalyst (CPJ’s online and print magazine) three times per year. As well, the Communications Coordinator will produce and distribute the regular electronic newsletter, JusticE-NEWS. The Coordinator will also join the policy team in planning, copyediting and posting regular articles on various policy issues for prominent display on the CPJ website and/or for external publication.
3. Member communications and appeals: support CPJ’s donor relations and fundraising capacity.
Working closely with CPJ’s development team:
- Write promotional materials and direct their dissemination ie. annual reports, financial appeals, press releases.
- Develop and lead the implementation of CPJ’s social media strategy.
- Draft and design reports/fundraising appeals to CPJ members.
CPJ’s team is a relatively small work community. As part of our commitment to equity and anti-oppression, we endeavour to create space for increased representation and power within our organization for individuals and communities in Canada disproportionately impacted by systemic oppression. We seek new persons that will expand our diversity and who have the flexibility to thrive in a small office. This requires a certain measure of fluidity in job descriptions as circumstances change and as projects develop. We all pitch in to help each other as needed; celebrate special occasions together; and enjoy camaraderie around a common mission.