Responding to God’s call to promote love, justice, and the flourishing of creation.
CPJ offers engaging resources that encourage faith communities to reflect and take action towards ecological justice. Scroll down for materials you can use any time.
To mark the 2019 Season of Creation and lend support to Global Climate Action Week, CPJ is hosting aa week-long national prayer chain. Prayers for Creation begins on Friday, September 20 at 12noon and will continue until 4pm on Friday, September 27, 2019. You are invited to commit to an hour of prayer for the flourishing of creation.
Please join us as we pray for creation!
Thank you for praying for climate justice! By joining together in prayer with people across the country, we can amplify the cries of the Earth and the voices of those facing the greatest risks from climate change. Praying in community can help open up space for understanding and accepting personal responsibility for the injustices of a changing climate. Through meditation, prayer, song, and discussion, people of faith can foster a spirit of willingness to change habits and extend generous compassion to those who are most vulnerable to the impacts of a warming planet.
We encourage you to get creative and pray however you feel comfortable. You can offer prayers alone in your room, as a family around the diningroom table, with a congregation gathered in a sanctuary, or with friends going for a walk in the park – it’s up to you!
We also invite you to pair your prayers with action. Studies have shown that the single most important thing that people can do to change the public discourse about the climate crisis is to talk with others about it. Included below are some ideas to help you get started.
- Talk to a neighbour or other acquaintance about climate change.
- Learn about and get to know the people, plants, and animals that are indigenous to where you live.
- Learn about your local watershed and/or your local fibreshed.
- Introduce yourself to a local farmer. If you’re a farmer, introduce yourself to people in the city closest to where you farm.
- Take time to talk with the political candidates in your riding. Ask questions and share ideas about what matters to you.
- Attend — and ask a question — at your local all-candidates’ debate.
- Join / support / attend / or organize a climate strike on Friday, September 27, 2019 in solidarity with the world’s youth.
- A prayer card to share (JPEG)
- Intercessory Prayers composed by Karri Munn-Venn (PDF)
- Intercessory Prayers composed by Sr. Marlene Kelly, GSIC (PDF)
- Ideas for time in climate justice prayer (PDF)
Songs and Sermons
Small Group Activities
If you’d like help, CPJ is available to speak in churches. We can join you in person or via Zoom – keeping things carbon neutral – to offer prayers, a workshop, or a climate justice homily.
Contact Karri Munn-Venn at ac.jpc@irrak or 613-232-0275, x. 223 to make arrangements.
Please, pray and act for climate justice – and engage your faith community in the same! We hope that these materials will serve as a guide as you express gratitude for the gift of creation, pray for those impacted by climate change, and also to pray for the leaders charged with making the policies that will shape our future.